SEEING it becomes us to endeavour by all means that unity of faith, which is so highly commended by Paul, shine forth among us, to this end chiefly ought the formal profession of faith which accompanies our common baptism to have reference. Hence it were to be wished, not only that a perpetual consent in the doctrine of piety should appear among all, but also that one CATECHISM were common to all the Churches. But as, from many causes, it will scarcely ever obtain otherwise than that each Church shall have its own Catechism, we should not strive too keenly to prevent this; provided, however, that the variety in the mode of teaching is such, that we are all directed to one Christ, in whose truth being united together; we may grow up into one body and one spirit, and with the same mouth also proclaim whatever belongs to the sum of faith. Catechists not intent on this end, besides fatally injuring the Church, by sowing the materials of dissension in religion, also introduce an impious profanation of baptism. For where can any longer be the utility of baptism unless this remain as its foundation - that we all agree in one faith? Wherefore, those who publish Catechisms ought to be the more carefully on their guard, lest, by producing anything rashly, they may not for the present only, but in regard to posterity also, do grievous harm to piety, and inflict a deadly wound on the Church. This much I wished to premise, as a declaration to my readers, that I myself too, as became me, have made it my anxious care not to deliver any thing in this Catechism of mine that is not agreeable to the doctrine received among all the pious. This declaration will not be found vain by those who will read with candour and sound judgment. I trust I have succeeded at least so far that my labour, though it should not satisfy, will be acceptable to all good men, as being in their opinion useful.

John Calvin

from the Dedication of the Catechism of The Church of Geneva

Friday, May 8, 2009

Prayer points

I'm heading off for our church synod next week and preparing for the upcoming end of morning and evening series (Luke and Deuteronomy respectively), deciding what I might cover as a few "one offs" before delving again into another book. I have been pondering the nature of prayer and thinking about the idea that MORE people praying makes prayer more effective. The trigger for this deliberation is the practice of obtaining a quota of prayer partners for outgoing missionaries with various agencies. Prayer is vital - it is commanded and therefore essential; prayer is corporate and individual in the Bible (but does the first accomplish more than the second?); the support of Christians is important- I'm not saying that we pray enough, but is the notion that the work prospers exponentially because of 10, 20 , 50, 1000 (whatever is an exponential progression) pray-ers? I'm looking at James 5:16 and this will be the subject of an upcoming sermon, I feel.  

Anyway, this from Calvin:
"It is strange that by promises of such great sweetness we are affected either so coldly or hardly at all, so that many of us prefer to wander through mazes and, forsaking the fountain of living waters, to dig out for ourselves dry cisterns [Jeremiah 2:13], rather than to embrace God’s generosity, freely given to us. “The name of the Lord is an impregnable citadel,” says Solomon; “the righteous man will flee to it and be saved.” [Proverbs 18:10] But Joel, after he has prophesied the frightful ruin that threatens, adds this memorable sentence: “All that call upon the name of the Lord shall be delivered” [Joel 2:32; Romans 10:13]. This we know actually refers to the course of the gospel [Acts 2:21]. Scarcely one man in a hundred is moved to

approach God. He himself proclaims through Isaiah: “You will call upon me and I shall hear you. Nay, before you call, I will answer you” [Isaiah 65:24 p.]. Elsewhere he also vouchsafes this same honour to the whole church in common, as it applies to all the members of Christ. “He has called to me and I shall hearken to him; I am with him in tribulation to rescue him.” [Psalm 91:15.]"

No comments:

Post a Comment